The Novels

Economics 101, a Novel (Rough Draft) -- My first sustained attempt at a novel, two-thirds finished in rough draft, and heading a little too far south.
What would you do if you and your study partner, with whom you had been seriously discussing marriage, suddenly found yourselves all alone together on a desert island? Study economics?
Sociology 500, a Romance (Second Draft) -- The first book in the Economics 101 Trilogy.(On hold.)
Karel and Dan, former American football teammates and now graduate students, meet fellow graduate students Kristie and Bobbie, and the four form a steady study group.

Featured Post

Sociology 500, a Romance, ch 1 pt 1 -- Introducing Bobbie

TOC Well, let's meet Roberta Whitmer. Bobbie entered the anthropology department office and looked around. Near the receptionis...

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

[Backup] Economics 101 pasteboard departure

[Pasteboard buffer for http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/08/economics-101-novel-ch09-in-islands.html. Original would be at http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/08/pasteboard-departure.html, if published.]


Our co-protagonists and their parents met with Professor MacVittie and other university personnel to make sure all the necessary preparations were complete. Then they said goodbye to their parents, and left campus for the airport with Professor and Sister MacVittie and their youngest son.

Their flight took off without incident, and they made a connecting flight or two to the coast. (I am not saying which coast.)

From the coast, they had several more connecting flights. Not much happened, but Bobbie noticed two things on route.

At the coast, she said, "Karel, have you noticed the guys hitting on me?"

"I've noticed a few doing double-takes."

"Double-takes don't really bother me."

"I have noticed a few guys deliberately ignoring me and the professor and trying to get your attention."

"That's what I'm talking about."

"How should I react?"

"I don't particular want attention from the kind of guy that would do that."

"I can run interference?"

"I'd appreciate it, if things get out of hand."

"Should we ask the professor and Sister MacVittie to help?"

"That would be too unnatural."

"Pardon me for listening in, Bobbie, but Brother MacVittie and I will be happy to help."

"I'll say something if anything goes that far."

What she didn't say was that she was noticing that she seemed to be able to turn most of the probing looks away with hardly any overt reaction at all. It felt good.

At one layover, they were seated at an airport concessions cafeteria. Karel and Bobbie were sitting together, and the MacVitties were at a neighboring table.

Karel had gone to the counter to pick up their food.

A rugged looking fellow sat down across from Bobbie.

"Hello beautiful."

"Do you make a habit of talking to yourself?"

The man reached out and caught Bobbie by the wrist. She moved her arm in a way that only a dancer would know and the man's hand closed on air.

The MacVitties were watching without watching. Their son stood up and went to the counter where Karel was picking up the food.

Karel was also watching out of the corner of his eye.

"Nice moves."

"The seat you are sitting in wasn't really open."

The MacVittie's son said, "I'll get the food."

"Thanks. I think I'd better go rescue that guy." Karel said, loud enough for the man to hear.

"Some girls know what they want. I think you are a little confused."

"I think not."

"That runt you were with isn't worth the trouble he's caused you."

"Far more than the trouble he's caused me, not that it's any of your business."

This time the man reached with both hands and was too quick. Bobbie was cool as ice.

Karel, standing behind the man, said, "So, Should I do the honors, or should I leave him to you?"

Bobbie smoothly extracted her wrists and slapped the man. and said, "I

--------------

Sheldon MacVittie
Dean Hayworth
Professor White
Bobbie has two younger brothers, Rick (and Lupe) and Gary.
Karel has sisters, Charlotte, Sheryl
Bobbie's part time job
Dan's little sister, Sheliah, older sister Deborah, brother Timothy

5, 6, 7, 8, 9



ch. 9

sixth semester/fieldwork

Starting the fieldwork with the MacVitties

Before leaving for islands:

acknowledging mutual interest
reasons for postponing

at main island (is main island first?)

Wye and Zed and their charter service

the four islands

Hanaka and father on first island

 In the days before returning,
(pushing luggage on cart!)
some sort of strong commitment,
hesitation to be demonstrative around islanders --
don't want to be misunderstood


No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it on topic, and be patient with the moderator. I have other things to do, too, you know.